Saturday, June 10, 2017

Anda Bhurji - Quick & Delicious!

In my family we always called it 'Khageena' and my mama's version of the Anda Bhurji was pretty different too. She used to add tomatoes, potatoes, and very few spices. I cannot tell you how delicious something so simple sounding could taste. Whenever we used to return from a vacation and were tired and stuffed with airplane food, mama used to arrange for Khageena and we would eat it for a quick and refreshing super light meal. I loved it so much!

The recipe I'm sharing today is much different from the one I remember from my childhood. This one is super quick too and extremely flavorful. I haven't added tomatoes or potatoes but delicious sweet peas make an appearance here. It is really moist and juicy - yeah, that's the word I like to use for it. JUICY. It's almost like eating yummy Keema (mince) except they're eggs. I find eggs boring under normal circumstances but this Anda Bhurji is actually my favorite. It will literally take no time at all and is perfect for those days when you need to pull something off quickly yet enjoy a super grand BAM of flavors in your mouth!

Ingredients:
  • Eggs - 6 large eggs
  • Oil
  • Cumin Seeds (Zeera) - 1/2 tbsp.
  • Onions - 1/4 to 1/2 large onion chopped
  • Peas - 1/2 cups or more if preferred (I used frozen ones)
  • Salt - to taste
  • Turmeric Powder (Haldi) - 1/4 tsp.
  • All Spice (Garam Masala) Powder - 1/4 tsp.
  • Red Chili Powder (Laal Mirach) - to taste
  • Curry Powder - just a pinch
  • Black Pepper Powder (Kaali Mirach) - to taste
  • Cilantro (Hara Dhanya) - a generous helping chopped up
Method:

Get all your ingredients together so that cooking is a breeze!

Chop the onions and measure out the spices in a small bowl.

Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds to it. Let them cook until they give off smell. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn. This should take about one minute.

Meanwhile whisk the eggs in a bowl.

After about a minute add the onions to the hot oil and let them cook until lightly browned.

When the onions turn brown add the spices in. Next, add the peas and let everything cook for about two to three minutes.

Pour the beaten eggs slowly into the pan mixing as you go so large clumps don't form. Let the eggs cook through until they are done to your liking.

At this point I added in very little water because the frozen peas still had a bite to them and I wanted them to be a little softer. Add very little water, enough for the bhurji to just become moist and let it all cook together until done.

Add the chopped cilantro, mix, and you're done!

Super delicious and super quick Anda Bhurji is ready to be devoured! Yumm yumm!

See how absolutely delicious that looks? I can smell it right through the picture!

Remember when I said this was JUICY? See how moist it is? It's shining! Literally. The spices combine with the eggs and create something so special and so awesome ... it'll blow your mind! You can pair this with anything at all - roti, bread, rice, or just eat it by the spoon. DE-LISH-YUS!

2 comments:

  1. Sara, today is Father's Day. I've decided to make this for my husband and son when they get home this morning. Thanks for this great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Father's Day! I hope they LOVE it :D This one's a favorite here!

      Delete